Home Forum Ask A Member Re: 1949 Johnson HD-25 Overhaul: A beginners perspective and guide for the compleat idiot

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    vwbusman66
    Participant

Yes, I removed the primer nut and fork. That pin must be removed in order to allow for the top of the carb bowl to come off so I can rebuild the carb and float. The tank is already off along with all of the primer hardware. The pin is a smidgen too long to allow for it to fit through the hole allotted for it.
      James

steveh
      Participant

US Member

I used a small punch and tapped it out. If I remember correctly, the pin is tapered, so tap on the small end. Then it pulls out easily with a needle-nosed pliers.

legendre
        Participant
          quote vwbusman66:

Yes, I removed the primer nut and fork. That pin must be removed in order to allow for the top of the carb bowl to come off so I can rebuild the carb and float.

Now it’s my opportunity to learn something..

Why do you need to drive out that pin to remove the bowl cover? What prevents you from simply unscrewing the mixture needle until it can be withdrawn from the carb body?

My question seems so obvious, we must have some sort of misunderstanding here..?

vwbusman66
          Participant
            quote legendre:

quote vwbusman66:

Yes, I removed the primer nut and fork. That pin must be removed in order to allow for the top of the carb bowl to come off so I can rebuild the carb and float.

Now it’s my opportunity to learn something..

Why do you need to drive out that pin to remove the bowl cover? What prevents you from simply unscrewing the mixture needle until it can be withdrawn from the carb body?

My question seems so obvious, we must have some sort of misunderstanding here..?

Is the needle supposed to unscrew all the way out? I have sat here for about 20 minutes trying to screw it in and out and it does not move at all. I assumed that it did not screw in or out, and was designed to have the pin removed.
            James

steveh
            Participant

US Member

You do not have to take the pin out. You can simply unscrew the high speed needle. It will unscrew all the way.

legendre
              Participant

This is the high-speed mixture needle we’re discussing – it +must+ be free to turn, else you can’t adjust the mixture. It sounds like yours is stuck in place.. might be due to gummy fuel residue or some sort of dissimilar metal corrosion.

Try a little heat on that part of the carb body, see if you can get it moving.

aquasonic
                Participant

US Member

quote SteveH:

You do not have to take the pin out. You can simply unscrew the high speed needle. It will unscrew all the way.

No need to remove the high speed needle pin! Just back the needle out ‘lefty loosey’.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.