Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 Skeg interferes with gears.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    boscovius
    Participant

There’s something else that caught my attention that needs sorted out.  The Parts List with schematics that I have is for the 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35, model 25028 and 25029.  Everything looks the same as my 35 hp gear case with the exception of how the reverse gear thrust washer is fitted.  In my schematic, the tabs on the washer are in a horizontal position, not vertical as how it must actually be installed in my unit.  This tells me I definitely do not have an original gear case for this motor.

Something going on with the prop shaft, won’t allow me to fit a prop with the shear pin  holes lined up.  have several old props, same problem with all of them so I’m assuming it’s the shaft.  Ordered a replacement.  Also have a missing water pump impeller housing screw, and that screw hole is stripped out.  Going to see about using a Helicoil in there.  I’ll have to figure out what size thread that is.

Since I’m collecting surplus parts I guess I’ll have to go into the business of buying and refurbishing lower units until I find the original for my model.

Edit.

Thought I was done posting on this for a bit, went to remove the water impeller housing to get a better look at that stripped out screw hole, removed the impeller housing plate and right there in front of me was the part number cast into the upper housing.

Here’s an Ebay listing for the housing I think I need.  The “casting” number matches what I see under my impeller housing, but how can I verify the other number in their listing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312441007654?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337467797&toolid=10001&customid=

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by boscovius.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, if the original color is green, then it most likely is from a 55 25hp.  I don’t think the older RD gearcases would fit on the newer 35hp due to the extra bolt in the back.  Needless to say, it would be impossible to mix up the pinions, but you could easily mix up the fwd/reverse gears.  Looks like they are matched sets, so no way of knowing the individual part numbers for the forward gears, but they are probably a little different.

I’m sure there is no problem using a 30hp gearcase, or a 55 25hp gearcase on the 35hp, provided it gets used as an assembly.  But, future repairs will be confusing because of the assumption that the gearcase is from a 57 35hp.

It would be interesting to do a real close up comparison of the two forward gears, you may be able to see a difference visually.

outboardnut
        Participant

US Member

Can this be of use?
          From 1974 parts reference guide

Ind-numbers-prop-gears-1974-Parts-Ref-page-001

boscovius
          Participant

Thanks Outboardnut.

I see there are gear numbers for the RD line in there.  Probably might come in handy.  I need to figure out what the difference is between the Part number for the gear case and the casting number.  Might like to get the original case on here someday, but might be better running the one I have for now.

outboardnut
            Participant

US Member

I do not know if this is a fact what I about to write but-
              A member told me a long time ago
              That the forward and reverse gears are the same except for the bearing.
              All a person would have to do is switch the bearings with each other.
              Then the wear would be on the other side of the tooth
              Can anyone verify this.?

boscovius
              Participant

I know that bronze bearing pressed inside the gear looks to be the only thing different about it.  I’d have to closer look when I have it apart again before I seal it it.

Mumbles
                Participant

Without reading this whole thread, were any of the gears interchanged between the cases?

In the mid fifties, OMMC started changing the design of the gears used on some motors. The trend was to get away from squarish cut gears and go to more helical cut gears with possibly a different tooth count. Of course these different style gearsets will not interchange and have different part numbers. Just a thought.

boscovius
                  Participant

Mumbles,

To make a long story short, the answer is yes.   Back in the day, when the lower unit failed to remain in forward gear, I bought one on Ebay to replace it until I could figure out what was wrong with it.  Turned out they both had bad clutch dogs and weren’t serviceable.  That shut my boating down for a while.  I even sold the boat to a friend, who neglected it, so I bought it back.  When I opened the gearcase up, it had deteriorated pretty badly.  The one I got from Ebay was in nice shape.  I set about learning how to repair them both and thinking all of these parts were identical, with the exception of the pinion gear and bearing of course, I took all the pretty shiny parts  and put them in the newer gearcase, and put the ugly ones in the older gearcase.  This means that the 35 hp gears went into the 30 hp gearcase and vice versa.  I sealed them both up and never realized until just recently that the newer gearcase was seized.  It’s been a trip down memory lane figuring out what happened.  Learned a lot along the way.  So grateful that AOMCI exists and that there are fella’s who like to help out with info and advice on problems like this.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That char confused me a bit.  I realize there were two different pinion styles, but don’t know if the same forward/reverse gears were used with both pinion styles.  In any event, you seem to have it figured out now.

boscovius
                      Participant

Here’s the thing.  The wrong forward gear in the 30 hp gear case worked just fine.  But he 30 hp  forward gear in the 35 hp gear case did not.

But who’s to say how much of this stuff is original equipment in either gear case?

I would like to find a nice gear case original to my model someday.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.