Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 Skeg interferes with gears.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you can always swap the gears/pinion from the other gearcase into this one which will answer some questions for sure.

boscovius
      Participant

Interesting development.  I followed fleetwin’s suggestion and assembled the lower unit minus a gear, then reassembled.  Since I get confused about which gear is does what, I will say that when I assembled the unit with only what I believe is the forward gear, the unit froze up.  That being the gear furthest from the prop.

When I assembled the unit without that gear, but with the other one, the one closest to the prop.  The unit turned smoothly.  So it appears we have an ill-fitting gear.

I also noted that the hole in the pressed-in brass/bronze bushing/bearing on the good gear does not line up with the hole in the gear.  I assume this hole is there to facilitate lubrication getting between the bushing/bearing, and the prop shaft.  How critical is it that these holes line up?

boscovius
        Participant

Well, Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Looks like I have two different type lower units.  Here’s what I found in the one that was already turning good.  I was not expecting to see that.   This gear case also has the older gears that were somewhat rusted but salvaged via electrolysis.  I compared the problem gear from the unit that was seizing up (I’m going to call that (GC one) and the other gearcase (GC two) and I could see no difference between them other than cosmetic differences due to the older gear in GC two having had some rust.  I’m going to clean this case up and let the parts soak in some cleaner.  Not sure where to go from here.

boscovius
          Participant

Well, Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Looks like I have two different type lower units.  Here’s what I found in the one that was already turning good.  I was not expecting to see that.   This gear case also has the older gears that were somewhat rusted but salvaged via electrolysis.  I compared the problem gear from the unit that was seizing up (I’m going to call that (GC one) and the other gearcase (GC two) and I could see no difference between them other than cosmetic differences due to the older gear in GC two having had some rust.  I’m going to clean this case up and let the parts soak in some cleaner.  Not sure where to go from here.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

That GC two is off a 1956 30hp.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by bobw.
              outboardnut
              Participant

US Member

I have been lurkering this post
                I was wondering the original colors of the two gear cases

1956-30-hp-gear-case

1957-35-hp-gear-case

boscovius
                Participant

So I put all the rusty parts back with GC one, now known as the 35 hp gearcase and  put the other gears back into the 30 hp gear case.  Both turn now.  Probably work a little better with some lube in there, but the problem seems to be solved.

As far as original colors, both gear cases were pretty rough looking.  The 35 hp gear case was done in what was left of a coat of gray.  The 30 hp looks like it has something green left on it.  My guess is that one came off a Johnson.

Any reason I can’t run that 30 hp lower with my 35 big twin?

joecb
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 1957 Evinrude 35 hp lower unit , tower and engine were painted light grey.

This sure has been an interesting and informative thread… thanks to all that contributed.

Joe B

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it is like I say.  These gearcases all seem the same, but there were many little differences.  And while the complete assemblies can be used on many different engines, swapping the internals can lead to trouble.  The pinion set up is different, am thinking the forward gear tooth set up is different as well.  Good learning tool for all of us, we have all been guilty of swapping stuff around from time to time…

outboardnut
                      Participant

US Member

Any reason he can’t run that 30 hp lower with his 35 big twin?
                        I’m thinking since the one gear case had green-It really is off a 1955 RD-17 Johnson 25 hp.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 70 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.