Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 Skeg interferes with gears.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

ALLSO the splines in the pinion gear.

boscovius
      Participant

Got another shaft coming.  Like the one in the (This one works) picture.  For all the fuss and bother I’ve put into a (spare) lower unit, LOL, I felt it was worth the price.  We’ll see what happens with that.  Dave-Bernard brings up the possibility that the depth of splines in the pinion gears might be different.  He may have a point there.  All I know for sure is that at one time this unit worked, kinda.  It turned properly, but was defective.  It was purchased to replace a lower unit that wouldn’t stay in forward gear because of of a worn clutch dog/forward gear lobes.  Turned out the replacement lower unit had the same issue, so I began to tear them apart, figure out how they work, and slowly attempt to find parts and get them all back together.  One of them got a new drive shaft.  I just now dug up the old one and it matches the one that works.  I think this will fix it.  I won’t try to put the old one back in to test it out as I don’t want to risk damaging the seals with this ragged old shaft, but I think I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Mumbles
        Participant

Something else to consider is the design of most gearcases. Sitting still, the pinion isn’t supported by anything except the forward and reverse gears. Turning the shafts can give a clunky feeling, even more so if there is no oil in the case. Once filled with oil and under power, the pinions tendency is to climb up on the gears, giving smooth operation.

boscovius
          Participant

Mumbles,

This is true.  But in this instance I believe I installed an incorrect shaft, possibly had the washers in wrong, sealed it up and called it a day without every checking to see if the shaft would turn.  Now, after over a year, I discover the driveshaft was frozen solid.  We’ll see what the replacement shaft does.   Should be here by the end of the month.  I have a good feeling about this.

Now, I’m really curious as to what a brand new, newly manufactured, high quality drive shaft of this sort would bring on the marketplace?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I spent some time replying, but that post seems to have vaporized.  In any event, I am having trouble understanding how the wrong/damaged driveshaft could have anything to do with the pinion jamming up, at least on this engine.  There is nothing in this assembly that holds the driveshaft down that would force the pinion downwards into the gears.  I am assuming you have not installed the water pump and the gearcase is off the exhaust housing though.  I suppose the driveshaft or bearings could be damaged but seems like you have replaced all of those.  What happens if you pull the driveshaft up slightly and try to rotate it?

Seems like you have determined that you don’t have the correct driveshaft thrust washers though, or at least one of them is wrong, this could force the pinion downwards a bit.   Are you able to tighten the skeg securely and rotate the driveshaft now?  Like Mumbles says, trying to rotate these new components somewhat “dry” will probably not be that smooth, but they should rotate.

boscovius
              Participant

fleetwin.

You are right.  I have no idea why changing the driveshaft would help.  Lol.  And it didn’t.   I too have had posts disappear before I could actually post them.

Today I tried the new shaft.  It made no difference.  I also tried removing the rear oil seal pin, just in case it was too long and elevating the seal housing.  It seemed to make some improvement, but when I tighten down the last little bit, it seizes.  It gets harder and harder to turn as I tighten it down, and I want to note that as it begins to become harder to turn, I can feel a rhythmic pattern to the vibration which I believe is the gears meshing together excessively with the pinion.  I have not installed the new washers yet.  Not expecting much from that but will give it a try.

Considering I was unable to find anything on the skeg rubbing on the drive shaft assembly with the carbon paper, I am trying to come up with a different way of determining where, if any, unwanted pressure is being applied to the driveshaft assembly when the skeg is tightened down.  Since everything turns very nicely without the skeg on, and the pinion and gears look very well married to each other, I have to believe the skeg is applying force to some part of the driveshaft/gears to be causing this.

Bottom line is that I should have all the correct parts installed.  I’m tempted to crack the other, working, gearcase open and try to see exactly why it is working.  I probably had both of these apart at the same time and may have swapped something out that I shouldn’t have.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by boscovius.
                fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well you tried the original skeg and that made no difference either.  And yes, the rythmic grinding you hear while tightening and turning  are the gear teeth getting jammed together too much.  You tried another driveshaft which made no difference, I hope you didn’t spend alot on that piece.

So, the probable issues are one or more of the following:

The pinion gear is being pushed down too far into the gearcase.  So, the thrust washers/ bearing may be the wrong pieces or oriented improperly.  Are you using the same thrust washers that were installed prior to the failure, or could they have gotten mixed up with parts from a different gearcase?  It is important to note that the back face of the pinion gear should not be rubbing on bottom face of the pinion gear needle bearing housing.  There is definitely something wrong if the gear is rubbing on the bearing case.  Either the pinion bearing housing is improperly installed, or there is something wrong with the pinion thrust bearing/washer set up.  I suppose that the new pinion gear could have been mismachined, but that seems unlikely.

Something is wrong with one/both of the new gears that you installed, or perhaps something on the prop shaft is limiting the outward movement of the gears.  Like I said, you could try assembling the gearcase installing just one of the gears with the pinion to see if that makes a difference, then try installing just the other gear with the pinion.  If the pinion is still tough to turn with either of the gears installed one at a time, then I would suspect that pinion depth is to blame.  If the pinion turns freely with one of the gears installed, but tough when just the other one is installed, then I would suspect a problem with one of the new gears or its positioning on the prop shaft.

Finally, it is important to go back and look at all the new parts installed.  I am assuming all the gears/pinion/bearings were replaced, along with seals and other items that wouldn’t really have an effect on gear lash.   So, let’s start with the model number of the engine you are working on, and the assumption that its gearcase is original.  Let us know if you feel the gearcase is not original to the engine.   Then list all the new part numbers installed.  It doesn’t seem likely, but there have been many subtle changes to these gearcases through the years, perhaps one of the new pieces you installed was not the correct part number.

boscovius
                  Participant

It’s a 25028.  I know for fact that it is not the original lower.  I had a guy work on it for me back in the day and instead of just fixing my lower, he just swapped it out for another without consulting me.  Not cool.

It’s a bit a a Frankenrude in that it has had a starter and electric start flywheel added to it.  Between this lower and the other, working, lower, I have no means of knowing if parts were switched out between them.  I would guess they have been.  However, as far as this troubled unit is concerned, the prop shaft is near mint condition.  New clutch dog.  New front and back bearings.  New needle bearings in the housing, new pinion.  New pinion bearings. The gears look very new.  Though I do not remember replacing them.

I have yet to install the new thrust bearing washers.  I’ll try that next.  Probably tomorrow.  And I’ll try what you said about trying one gear on, then the other, to see what effect that has.

Something to keep in mind is that when I first started working on this, Marine Engine was my only resource at the time and because they don’t have a schematic going back as far as my model number I used the RD-19 for all my parts sourcing as it looked like a good match.  I do have the correct schematic now.  But as far as I know, most of these parts don’t have numbers engraved on them so it’s anyone’s guess as to what I have now.

So where it stands is that with everything installed except the skeg, everything turns freely via the driveshaft.  In forward and reverse.  Put the skeg on 99% of the way and it still moves, though a bit rough.  Tighten it down 100% and frozen solid.

Thanks for hanging in there with me so far.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the prop shaft was not replaced.  This gearcase was operational before it got water inside, froze and split the skeg open, correct?

25028 is a 57 35hp.  You mention the gears looked new, but don’t know if you replaced them…  Seems like they would have been pretty rusty if they were in there, but perhaps you cleaned them up.  Would be helpful if you could remember though.

The gearcase is not original, so we don’t know what year it is…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by fleetwin.
                      boscovius
                      Participant

Yeah, like I was saying,  since I had both of these units torn apart at the same time, I probably swapped things around.  Unfortunately, this may complicate things.  I think if I open the other one up I’ll be able to get a better idea of what’s going on.   I’m not opposed to spending a little more money on, say, a matched set of gears, if that’s what it’s going to take to make this right, but hopefully I’ll get lucky and figure out a cheaper fix.  My wife just got a very expensive puppy for her birthday.  I have my own needs.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 70 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.