Home Forum Ask A Member Best cork carb float coating

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

I am starting another tune-up and plan on reusing the existing cork float. There was a thread that discussed the best coatings others had found to use on cork floats though I can’t find that thread now. I am thinking it was on the lost blue board discussions. What recommendations do you all have for this?

wedgie
      Participant

Crazy glue works

kevinrude
        Participant

I use fuel proof model airplane dope available at your local hobby store. For $10-$15 you’ll have enough of this stuff to last the rest of your life. FYI, I find that dipping the float into the dope gives it too thick of a coat so I just brush it on with a small hobby paint brush.

aquasonic
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

SIG brand model airplane dope works great. It is getting tougher to find these days. I bought some online a little over a year ago, and there were only a couple of vendors that I could find.

Edit: This dope comes in all kinds of colors. The clear is what you want.

archangel
            Participant

Terrific. Thank you! There is a SIG dealer not too far from me, as it turns out.

seakaye12
              Participant

Here’s what I’ve been told to use; I got mine at a local hobby shop:

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I too have used the SIG clear Hot Fuel Proof Dope for years and have not had a problem… HOWEVER, A friend that does quit a few carb rebuilds did an experiment. Left a dope treated cork sit in a jar of our normal 10 % ethanol for a couple of days and the coating did not hold up. Now, normally I don’t have fuel in my carb bowl for that long, so I guess that is why I’m not seeing problems. Further testing proved that the best coating he could find was "Red Kote" fuel tank coating, This is a single component coating that is impervious to the alcohol in our gasoline. Red Kote is available at most auto parts stores.
                  Joe B

bobprock4200
                  Participant

Joe, any idea how long the paint had to cure before it was soaked in fuel? That might make a difference. I’ve noticed "fuel-resistant" paint needs at least a week to cure. That being said, when I use Crazy glue, I’ve only let it set up for a few minutes with no apparent problems (yet). One thing I have noticed though, when you go to re-coat an old cork float, make sure it’s completely clean of any old fuel. I use Gumout carb cleaner or lacquer thinner and then let the cork dry out completely before attempting to recoat.

aquasonic
                    Participant

Very interesting. I like Red Kote, but it never occurred to me to use it for floats.

I just have a couple of questions. How long did he let the SIG coating cure before his experiment, and did he also test out super glue? I have no idea what kind of curing time the SIG coating requires, but I can’t say I have ever had a problem with it to date. I would guess that I usually don’t use the motor for at least a couple of weeks after coating the float.

I’m not trying to refute the findings, but just trying to learn.

archangel
                      Participant

Are there any Canadian members out there who know where, or if, Red Kote is available in Canada?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.