Home Forum Ask A Member Best cork carb float coating

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Archangel…look here:

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Fuel_Tank_Sealer.html

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

legendre
      Participant

I’ve also use super glue, which is cheap and available. Plus, if you get it in the multi-pack of little tubes, you’ve always got a fresh tube when you need it.

As to how it holds up over many years, I don’t have any data – but I sure don’t see it breaking down in 10% ethanol.

archangel
        Participant

Thanks, Richard

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know about the cure time on the dope experiment, but I’ll try and find out. As for a complete cleaning and de-greasing of the old cork, that’s VERY good advice. Don’t forget that that old fuel was loaded with oil.

Joe B

kevinf
            Participant

I went hunting Red Kote a couple of years ago in the Ottawa area and found a motorcycle shop that used it. They didn’t stock it for resale but were willing to order it. I ended up replacing the tank as it was cheaper 🙂

Like most others I ve had good luck with the standard clear dope on floats. It’s designed to resist glo fuel which is methanol based so it’s tough.

Kev

mr-asa
              Participant
                quote Bob Prock:

Joe, any idea how long the paint had to cure before it was soaked in fuel? That might make a difference. I’ve noticed “fuel-resistant” paint needs at least a week to cure. That being said, when I use Crazy glue, I’ve only let it set up for a few minutes with no apparent problems (yet). One thing I have noticed though, when you go to re-coat an old cork float, make sure it’s completely clean of any old fuel. I use Gumout carb cleaner or lacquer thinner and then let the cork dry out completely before attempting to recoat.

Crazy glue dissolves in acetone, been a long while since I have looked some of this up, but from what I remember similar solvents can be found in gasoline today. Have you done any testing with it, or just examined the floats upon rebuilding the carbs?

legendre
                Participant
                  quote Mr. Asa:

Crazy glue dissolves in acetone (…)

From Wikipedia:

"Acetone, commonly found in nail polish remover, is a widely available solvent capable of softening cured cyanoacrylate. Other solvents include nitromethane, dimethyl sulfoxide, and methylene chloride. Gamma-Butyrolactone may also be used to remove cured cyanoacrylate. Commercial debonders are also available."

This surprises me. Isn’t acetone also used in the ‘accelerators’ for cyanoacrylate?

The Boat House
                  Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                    jerry
                    Participant

Red Kote is available on eBay most of the time for a reasonable price. I use it for the 2-piece Martin "40 and 45" tanks instead of trying to replace that nasty gasket.Coat the inside, slosh it around…done!
                      When using Red Kote…avoid opening the lid on the can. That will hasten the stuff inside drying up….instead, poke a small hole in the can and pour it out thru the hole then tape up the hole…it will last longer.

phil-b
                      Participant
                        quote Jerry:

Red Kote is available on eBay most of the time for a reasonable price. I use it for the 2-piece Martin “40 and 45” tanks instead of trying to replace that nasty gasket.Coat the inside, slosh it around…done!

Any prep of the insides first?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.