Home Forum Ask A Member Best cork carb float coating

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

Here’s Red Kote’s tech sheet and instructions:

http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

chris-p
      Participant

I bought the Aero Gloss and tried that last year.

The first float, after an hour of run time, lost all of the coating, and the slimy gel like substance that was left clogged itself all through the carb.

Maybe I didn’t wait long enough to dry? I waited about 4 days. Maybe wasn’t clean enough?

Dunno, but now Im scared to try again.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I had no troubles with aero gloss…but in any event I now use dollar store crazy glue …

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

legendre
          Participant
            quote Phil B:

Any prep of the insides first?

If you’re referring to the inside of the fuel tank, then that’s a big "no" – not required.

(Unless the tank is leaking, of course – which is an entirely different matter.)

camaroman
            Participant

old thread but por-15 tank sealer is a current product.used it inside boat tank, works fantastic. Didn’t even prep or anything, just cleaned real well. Left to dry a week in hot SoCal summer.

Have a bunch left, will use on the tanks and float for my 48 elgin and 53 seabee 🙂

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve had aerogloss airplane dope not adhere well to any original coating that’s on the float. Had it flake off on two out of about 20 motors I used it on so I don’t use it anymore.
                Dave

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                  quote Archangel:

Are there any Canadian members out there who know where, or if, Red Kote is available in Canada?

try contacting the company web site ask for canadian dealers

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

vintin
                  Participant

I coated a float with POR-15.

The POR-15 shriveled up and peeled up causing the float to rub the side of the carb.

I would not suggest using it to coat floats.

You may just end up like me.

On the rope.

brian
                    Participant

I’ve had success with Seal All, widely available and not expensive. Use MEK to thin it or clean an area before sealing. So far no problems but I don’t leave gas in a carb for long periods of time. Dries fast. I even used it to seal a Martin 20 two piece gas tank. It didn’t leak, but as stated, I don’t leave gas in tanks and carbs for a long time.

camaroman
                      Participant

VinTin – that sucks man! Ive read of one or 2 folks who have had this happen, however it seems many people have very good results. I think one issue is the old fuel absorbing into the cork and leaving behind a varnish residue which might cause this. I read on a vintage outboard site that he used por-15 many times with great success but pointed out there could be issues with old varnish on the cork.

Anyway – thanks for the update and sorry to hear! I might try some on fresh cork and soak it in 87 gas for a few days – Did u let it dry for 3-4 days minimum before using?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.