Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Carb Problems after rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member
      quote cesarp35:

Yeah Jerry i used Evinrude/Johnson Carb Repair Kit #439071, i will use the same OEM for the points, condensers and coils i will be ordering soon,, i will not give up until i get this baby going, it’s truly an awesome looking little motor.

Well worth the effort for sure… the 50s era 18 engines are some of the best they made. And, good choice in selecting the right parts. The bowl vent is the open passage next to the low speed adjustment needle. The one on top of the carburetor. Btw, the oil mix on that one is 24/1.

oldboat1
      Participant

US Member

+1 on clearing the vent. Use a piece of soft wire in every opening to insure it’s clear. The nozzle running vertically in the middle has holes that need to be clear — after soaking and spraying in carb cleaner, would use a small wire there as well. There is a gasket that goes at the bottom of the nozzle, and is essential for operation.

cesarp35
        Participant

Hey Jerry, regarding the bowl vent, if looking at the mounted carb is on the top left side of the low speed needle right above the air silencer screw hole? and yeah i’m using 24-1 gas mixture. Thanks

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member
            quote cesarp35:

Hey Jerry, regarding the bowl vent, if looking at the mounted carb is on the top left side of the low speed needle right above the air silencer screw hole? and yeah i’m using 24-1 gas mixture. Thanks

It’s been a while since I looked at one, but that sounds right. After you get the carb back apart, blow the vent passage and every other passageway out with compressed air.

cesarp35
            Participant

Will do, thank you!!

bookfuzz
              Participant

Just a thought that I didn’t see in here.
                Since it sounds like you never had it running very long, even before the work.
                You said you pumped the primer bulb… ? not a pressure tank pump button?
                Is the motor converted? I thought all the 57s were pressure tanks.
                Pressure tank leaks or fuel line cracking can cause some of those problems too.

cesarp35
                Participant

Yeah bookfuzz sorry for not being clear, you’re right i meant pressure tank primer button, but it also has a primer bladder type in the inline gas hose, so it basically has two priming options, it came like this when i bought it, is it possible that the line might have to much pressure causing the carb to overflow? don’t know if that would make any sense

cesarp35
                  Participant
                    quote FrankR:

Is the little clip installed correctly to the float valve and float? Is the bowl vent clear (mud daubers)? You mentioned the primer bulb–what’s with that? Have you converted it?

Once you figure out the carb flooding, your next item should be the ignition coils. Actually, that should have been #1. ALL 1957 Evinrudes have cracked coils, unless they have already been replaced. You are wasting your time until you do replace them.

Hey FrankR , you were right!! i removed the small plate took a peak at the coils and it has the original coils all cracked and disintegrated, i ordered a BRP OMC SysteMatched
                    Johnson Evinrude Tune-Up Kit
                    2 BRP OMC Ignition Coils, and
                    2 Champion Spark Plugs J6C should be here by Friday, i will post after installing. Thanks

cesarp35
                    Participant

Well guys just wanted to update, took carb apart again, adjusted float to make sure seat and needle are fully closing did the blowing through inlet and all seems to be good, re assembled carb and decided to take a look at the coils as FrankR suggested, and it still had the OG coils that were cracked and basically disintegrated, so i just ordered BRP OMC SysteMatched
                      Johnson Evinrude Tune-Up Kit,
                      2 BRP OMC Ignition Coils, and
                      2 Champion Spark Plugs J6C i will post update once i receive and install, hopefully it will take care of my issues, Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions i really appreciate it!!!

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You’re well on your way now. Very nice to find a ’57 Fastwin that still has original coils in it! 🙂 You’re going to have an excellent engine when you get it all tuned up and happy.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.