Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Carb Problems after rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    cesarp35
    Participant

Hey guys ,i wanted to share this picture of the motor that i’m working on, it’s really clean inside and out, just wish i had it running already!!! Parts should be here by Thursday or Friday at the latest, will post after i install them!!,

1957evinrude
      Participant

US Member

That’s a good looking fastwin you have there!! My favorite model year. They are good motors and have lots of power.
        I was trying to enlarge the photo but was not able to.

reivertom
        Participant

US Member

Sometimes a motor that old is in pristine condition because it had a problem people weren’t experienced enough or able to fix and didn’t want to spend any more money on an old motor. They get shoved into a basement corner and forgotten about until time to clean out the house. I have a ’55 Johnson 10hp in great condition that had a hard to find problem, and it took me a while to figure it out. To me, that’s part of the fun…..figuring out what others gave up on.

cesarp35
          Participant
            quote 1957evinrude:

That’s a good looking fastwin you have there!! My favorite model year. They are good motors and have lots of power.
            I was trying to enlarge the photo but was not able to.

Sorry i’m not to computer literate and i don’t even know how that damn little heart got in the picture. LOL

cesarp35
            Participant
              quote reivertom:

Sometimes a motor that old is in pristine condition because it had a problem people weren’t experienced enough or able to fix and didn’t want to spend any more money on an old motor. They get shoved into a basement corner and forgotten about until time to clean out the house. I have a ’55 Johnson 10hp in great condition that had a hard to find problem, and it took me a while to figure it out. To me, that’s part of the fun…..figuring out what others gave up on.

Well said reivertom!!!

Chris
              Participant

Browsing through 3 pages, it doesn’t look like you solved the carb issue.
                I’ve had this exact issue on a couple ’50’s motors. Turned out to be the "O" ring between the upper and lower carb halves. Riser pipe I think I’ve heard some call it? I actually had one fail at the far end of a very long lake. Ended up making one from a section of fuel hose to get by.

Anyway, I know you’ve taken it apart already, but is there a chance you forgot to put it in in the first place? Maybe missing from the kit?

cesarp35
                Participant
                  quote chris:

Browsing through 3 pages, it doesn’t look like you solved the carb issue.
                  I’ve had this exact issue on a couple ’50’s motors. Turned out to be the “O” ring between the upper and lower carb halves. Riser pipe I think I’ve heard some call it? I actually had one fail at the far end of a very long lake. Ended up making one from a section of fuel hose to get by.

Anyway, I know you’ve taken it apart already, but is there a chance you forgot to put it in in the first place? Maybe missing from the kit?

Hey Chris, if you’re referring to the float chamber to carb body boss gasket witch is the thick o ring thick gasket that sits on top of the high speed nozzle in the middle of the lower half of carb, i did put that on. I made a few adjustments to the float, i’m now waiting for the tune up and ignition parts to come in tomorrow. Once i install all the parts i will give it another go and post the results, i also change the pressure tank gasket and hoses

1957evinrude
                  Participant

US Member

If you can send us a video of it running !!!!! 🙂

cesarp35
                    Participant
                      quote 1957evinrude:

If you can send us a video of it running !!!!! 🙂

I definitely will!

Chris
                      Participant

I’ve also seen a main gasket (that goes between the 2 halves of the carb body) get swollen. Some would suggest that being from the Non-ethanol free gas. The gasket swelled up and was preventing the float from going all the way up, and would flood.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.