Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Carb Problems after rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    cesarp35
    Participant
      quote chris:

I’ve also seen a main gasket (that goes between the 2 halves of the carb body) get swollen. Some would suggest that being from the Non-ethanol free gas. The gasket swelled up and was preventing the float from going all the way up, and would flood.

I have the new carb kit installed and yes the old gasket was pretty stiff and deformed inside the carb, i;m hoping once i have everything installed it should be good, we’ll see what happens

cesarp35
      Participant

Hey guys, i’m installing the coils, points and condensers today, i went to my local NAPA to get some spark plug wire to replace while i’m at it and they don’t have solid copper core or tinned copper wire on hand, all they have is tinned metallic is this tinned metallic ok to use? Thanks

cesarp35
        Participant

Well guys i wanted to give you guys an update on my en devour, i finally got around to installing the new coils, condenser, points, spark plugs and wires and she fired up on the 2nd pull, the original coils that it had in there when i got the motor were toasted, so all along i was thinking it was a carb issue when in fact it was the ignition that was a problem, i just need to fiddle with the carb a little as i noticed the low idle adjustment screw was not responding as it should to fine tuning as i turned in or out, but it idled great, i just wanted to thank all for the advise and suggestions given as this is the first time working on an outboard motor and i think i’m hooked on these little motors. Thanks again guys i REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!

1957evinrude
          Participant

US Member

Don’t be surprised if your collection grows,I was supposed to only have about three but somehow I have about 18 🙂

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just a reminder that the red Johnson bible book for these oldies is back on line at…

http://162.144.28.33/

bookmark it before you forget or… try printing or clip out things you need with SNAGG IT

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

cesarp35
              Participant
                quote 1957evinrude:

Don’t be surprised if your collection grows,I was supposed to only have about three but somehow I have about 18 🙂

Nice!!! This is how it all started, I purchased a 1966 12’Alumacraft boat from an elderly man in excellent condition about 3 months ago just to go fishing here at the local lakes and the boat came with a 1957 Evinrude 7.5 HP in great cosmetic condition, the owner said the motor ran about 4 years ago he tried stating it when i went to look at the boat and it didn’t start, so he lowered the price drastically and i bought it. I brought it home and was able to start the motor after a few carb adjustment and i was amazed on how awesome the little motor ran, a few weeks later i was browsing through Craigslist and i saw the big brother this 18hp in great condition just like the 7.5hp that came with my boat, i figured i probably would want a little bigger motor in the future so i took a chance on it knowing it had not ran in about 25-30 years, for not ever working on an outboard motor and the help from people on this forum and youtube videos i was able to re seal the lower unit , rebuilt water pump, replace ignition coils, condenser, points, spark plugs and wires and rebuilt carb, i now have a nice running motor just need to fine tune the carb. So in reality i have 2 good vintage motors, and who knows i’ll probably keep browsing to see if something else comes up on Craigslist or Offerup I’m hooked on these little motors LOL

cesarp35
                Participant
                  quote crosbyman:

just a reminder that the red Johnson bible book for these oldies is back on line at…

http://162.144.28.33/

bookmark it before you forget or… try printing or clip out things you need with SNAGG IT

Got it, will do!, and thanks Crosbyman for all your help i appreciate it!!

cesarp35
                  Participant

Here’s a link to the motor running video i uploaded to youtube, i couldn’t figure out how to upload direct to this forum
                    https://youtu.be/Hm4EFGUo7_Q

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

SWEET!

Prepare to be boarded!

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote cesarp35:

Here’s a link to the motor running video i uploaded to youtube, i couldn’t figure out how to upload direct to this forum
                        https://youtu.be/Hm4EFGUo7_Q

You did the video post correctly by posting the link to your video on the hosting site. Videos cannot be uploaded directly to this site.

That’s a great looking and running engine you have there. That’s one to be proud of. Very Nice!
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 49 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.