Home Forum Ask A Member Caille Neptune Gas Tank Repair?

Viewing 5 posts - 91 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Years back when I was doing similar soldering jobs on tanks and doing car body repairs with wiping metal (similar to solder) I use to wipe the joint quickly with a dry cotton rag or paper towel while the solder was still plastic. This worked well for me and if the joint wasn’t quite right I would reheat and repeat the wiping.
      NOTE.I have used a gas torch, to reheat, but be careful not to get it too hot and oxodise the metal. A good electric soldering with plenty of “grunt” is possibly the safest bet.

Monte NZ

Mumbles
      Participant

I know some seasoned plumbers who use a cloth torn off an old pair of blue jeans. They say cotton works best for wiping solder.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I filled in some low spots this morning with more solder, just for cosmetic reasons.
          Did a little more soldering, and got the first coat of primer on the tank.
          Looks like I’m going with “Light Ford Gray” tractor paint on the tank…..
          same as I did on the cylinder.

I learned the “wet rag” to wipe excess solder back in 1982 when I built my house,
          plumbing everything in copper tubing. The first time I turned the water on I was
          proud I didn’t have any leaks……. that lasted about 30 seconds when one
          joint blew apart…….. that I forgot to solder!

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
          Participant

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Not sure I want to stress test my work….. 3 psi air might blow all the seems apart, lol.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 5 posts - 91 through 95 (of 95 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.